Somay ikan is a delicious and healthy Indonesian snack that is perfect for any occasion. This dish is made from a mixture of fish and vegetables that are wrapped in a thin layer of pastry and then steamed. It is usually served with a sweet and spicy peanut sauce that complements the flavors of the fish and vegetables perfectly. In this article, we will provide you with a detailed recipe for making somay ikan at home.
Here are the ingredients that you will need to make somay ikan:
- 400 grams of fish fillet, finely chopped
- 100 grams of carrot, grated
- 100 grams of cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 20 sheets of spring roll pastry
- Oil for frying
Follow these instructions to make somay ikan:
- Combine the fish fillet, grated carrot, finely chopped cabbage, minced garlic, egg white, cornstarch, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix well.
- Take a sheet of spring roll pastry and place a tablespoon of the fish mixture in the center.
- Fold the pastry to form a triangle and seal the edges with a little bit of water.
- Repeat this process until all the pastry sheets and fish mixture are used up.
- Steam the somay for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the somay until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Serve with a sweet and spicy peanut sauce.
Here is the nutritional information for somay ikan per serving:
- Calories: 200
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 200mg
- Fiber: 2g
Here are some tips to help you make the perfect somay ikan:
- Make sure to finely chop the vegetables so that they cook evenly.
- Do not overstuff the pastry sheets as this will make it difficult to seal them.
- Use a steamer basket to cook the somay as this will help to keep them moist.
- Make the peanut sauce ahead of time so that it is ready when the somay is cooked.
- Experiment with different vegetables and fish to find your favorite combination.
Somay ikan is a delicious and healthy snack that is easy to make at home. It is perfect for parties, potlucks, or as a midday snack. With this recipe, you can make somay ikan that is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Serve it with a sweet and spicy peanut sauce for a flavor explosion that is sure to impress.