Ayam Betutu is a traditional Balinese dish that is known for its spicy and flavorful taste. It is made by marinating a whole chicken in a mixture of Balinese spices and then wrapping it in banana leaves before being slow-cooked over a charcoal fire. The result is a juicy, tender, and aromatic chicken that is perfect for any occasion. In this article, we will share with you a recipe for making Ayam Betutu that you can easily follow at home.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp tamarind juice
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bruised
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 10 red chili peppers, deseeded
- 5 bird’s eye chili peppers, deseeded
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- Banana leaves
Follow these steps to make Ayam Betutu:
- In a blender, combine shallots, garlic, red chili peppers, bird’s eye chili peppers, and shrimp paste. Blend until smooth.
- Add vegetable oil, tamarind juice, sweet soy sauce, salt, and sugar to the blended mixture. Mix well.
- Stuff the chicken with lemongrass stalks and kaffir lime leaves.
- Coat the chicken with the blended mixture, making sure to cover all parts of the chicken.
- Wrap the chicken with banana leaves, making sure to cover it completely.
- Tie the banana leaves with a string to secure the chicken inside.
- Place the chicken on a charcoal grill and cook for 3 to 4 hours, turning it occasionally.
- Remove the banana leaves and serve the chicken hot with steamed rice and sambal sauce.
Ayam Betutu is a high-protein dish that is rich in flavor. Here is the nutrition information for one serving of Ayam Betutu (based on a recipe that serves 4):
- Calories: 450
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 20g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Sodium: 2000mg
Ayam Betutu is a delicious and traditional Balinese dish that can be easily made at home. By following the recipe above, you can enjoy a flavorful and aromatic chicken that is perfect for any occasion. Serve it with steamed rice and sambal sauce for a complete meal that will satisfy your taste buds. Try making Ayam Betutu today and impress your friends and family with your cooking skills!