Tempe is a popular food in Indonesia, which is made from fermented soybeans. One of the dishes that can be made from tempe is bacem tempe. Bacem tempe is a traditional Javanese dish that is cooked by marinating the tempe in spices and then cooking it in a sweet and savory sauce. This dish is very easy to make and is perfect for those who want to try something new.
To make bacem tempe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 300 grams tempe, cut into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 shallots, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Here are the steps to make bacem tempe:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and shallots and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the coriander seeds and bay leaves and sauté for another minute.
- Add the tempe and sauté until slightly browned.
- Add the salt, sugar, and tamarind paste and mix well.
- Pour in the water and stir until the tempe is fully coated in the sauce.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pan and let the tempe simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir the tempe occasionally to make sure that it is evenly coated with the sauce.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid and continue to simmer the tempe until the sauce has reduced and thickened even more.
- Once the sauce has thickened to your liking, remove the pan from the heat.
- Let the bacem tempe cool for a few minutes before serving.
One serving of bacem tempe (100 grams) contains approximately:
- Calories: 157
- Protein: 11 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 11 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Sodium: 495 milligrams
Bacem tempe is a delicious and nutritious dish that you can easily make at home. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking skills, you can enjoy this traditional Javanese dish in the comfort of your own home. So why not give it a try and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills?