Gurame bumbu kuning is a traditional Indonesian dish made from freshwater fish called gurame. This dish is famous for its flavorful yellow sauce made from various spices and herbs. It is easy to cook and perfect for any occasion, whether for family dinner or special events.
To make gurame bumbu kuning, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 whole gurame fish (about 500 grams)
- 1 lemongrass, bruised
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 5 tablespoons of oil
- 2 teaspoons of tamarind paste, dissolved in 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 500 ml of water
For the spice paste, you will need:
- 5 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 red chilies
- 3 bird’s eye chilies
- 2 cm of ginger
- 2 cm of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
Preparing the Fish
1. Clean the gurame fish and remove the scales and guts. Rinse with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Cut slits on both sides of the fish and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the fish until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Making the Spice Paste
1. In a mortar and pestle or food processor, grind all the ingredients for the spice paste until smooth.
Cooking the Sauce
1. Heat the remaining oil in a pot and sauté the spice paste, lemongrass, bay leaves, and kaffir lime leaves until fragrant.
2. Add water, tamarind juice, salt, and sugar. Bring to a boil.
3. Add the fried fish and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce is thickened and the fish is fully cooked.
Here is the estimated nutrition information for one serving of gurame bumbu kuning (based on a serving size of 100 grams):
- Calories: 146 kcal
- Protein: 12.4 g
- Fat: 8.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.4 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Sugar: 1.3 g
- Sodium: 244 mg
Gurame bumbu kuning is a delicious and healthy dish that you can easily make at home. The combination of spices and herbs in the yellow sauce gives a unique flavor to the dish that will surely satisfy your taste buds. Serve it with steamed rice and some vegetables, and you will have a complete meal for your family or guests. Enjoy cooking!