Saus Padang is a popular Indonesian condiment that originated from Padang, West Sumatra. It is a spicy and savory sauce that is usually served with grilled meat or fried food. The sauce is made from a combination of various herbs and spices, including chili, garlic, shallots, and ginger. In this article, we will share with you a recipe for making Saus Padang at home.
To make Saus Padang, you will need the following ingredients:
- 10 red chilies
- 5 bird’s eye chilies
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 5 shallots
- 1 thumb-sized ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup water
Follow these steps to make Saus Padang:
- Blend the red chilies, bird’s eye chilies, garlic, shallots, and ginger in a blender until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the blended ingredients to the pan and stir-fry for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the salt and sugar to the pan and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the water and stir well.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 20-25 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Turn off the heat and let the sauce cool down before serving.
Here is the nutritional information for one serving of Saus Padang (based on the recipe above):
- Calories: 60
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 586mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 6g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 1g
There are many variations of Saus Padang that you can make depending on your taste preferences. Here are some ideas:
- Add more or fewer chilies to make the sauce spicier or milder.
- Add lemongrass, turmeric, or galangal for a more aromatic flavor.
- Add vinegar or lime juice for a tangy flavor.
- Add coconut milk for a creamier texture.
Saus Padang is a versatile sauce that can be served with many different dishes. Here are some ideas:
- Serve it with grilled or fried chicken, beef, or fish.
- Use it as a dipping sauce for fried food, such as fried tofu, tempeh, or spring rolls.
- Use it as a marinade for meat or seafood before grilling or frying.
- Drizzle it over rice or noodles for extra flavor.
Saus Padang is a delicious Indonesian condiment that can add a spicy and savory flavor to many dishes. With this recipe, you can now make it at home and adjust the ingredients to your liking. Try it out and enjoy!