Tahu gejrot is a popular street food in Indonesia, especially in West Java. It’s a simple yet delicious snack that can be enjoyed anytime. There are many variations of tahu gejrot, but in this article, we will be sharing a simple recipe that you can easily make at home.
Here are the ingredients that you will need:
- 300 grams of firm tofu
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3-4 shallots
- 5-6 bird’s eye chilies (adjust to your preferred level of spiciness)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon of sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- Oil for frying
Here are the steps to make tahu gejrot:
- Begin by cutting the tofu into small cubes and frying them until they are golden brown. Drain the excess oil and set aside.
- In a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic, shallots, and bird’s eye chilies until they form a coarse paste.
- In a separate pot, heat a tablespoon of oil and sauté the garlic, shallot, and chili paste until fragrant.
- Add in the salt, palm sugar, sweet soy sauce, vinegar, and water. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Add in the fried tofu cubes and mix well until the tofu is coated in the sauce.
- Turn off the heat and let the tahu gejrot cool down slightly before serving.
Here is the approximate nutrition information for one serving of tahu gejrot (based on the listed ingredients):
- Calories: 200
- Protein: 10 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 20 grams
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Sodium: 500 milligrams
Tahu gejrot is a simple yet tasty snack that you can easily make at home. It’s perfect for those who love spicy and savory flavors. With this recipe, you can adjust the level of spiciness and sweetness to your liking. Give it a try and enjoy this delicious Indonesian snack!