Sambal pete teri is one of the most popular sambals in Indonesia. It is a spicy and savory condiment made from chili peppers, shallots, garlic, teri fish, and pete beans. The combination of these ingredients creates a unique flavor that is both spicy and slightly sweet. This dish is perfect for those who love spicy food and enjoy a bit of crunch in their meals.
To make sambal pete teri, you will need the following ingredients:
- 10 red chili peppers
- 5 shallots
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 50 grams of teri fish
- 100 grams of pete beans
Here are the steps to make sambal pete teri:
- Wash the red chili peppers, shallots, and garlic cloves. Then chop them into small pieces.
- In a pan, heat up the vegetable oil and sauté the chopped ingredients until fragrant.
- Add the teri fish and pete beans to the pan and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and sugar to taste. Mix well.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Blend the mixture until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Put the sambal in a container and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Sambal pete teri is a spicy condiment that is high in protein, fiber, and vitamins. The teri fish and pete beans are good sources of protein, while the chili peppers, shallots, and garlic cloves provide fiber and vitamins. However, this dish is also high in sodium due to the use of salt as a seasoning. It is best to consume sambal pete teri in moderation and as part of a balanced diet.
Sambal pete teri is a versatile condiment that can be served with a variety of dishes. It goes well with rice, noodles, and even as a dip for vegetables. For a traditional Indonesian meal, serve sambal pete teri with nasi uduk (coconut rice), ayam goreng (fried chicken), and krupuk (shrimp crackers).
There are many variations of sambal pete teri depending on the region and personal preferences. Some people prefer to use bird’s eye chili peppers for a spicier flavor, while others add tomatoes for a sweeter taste. Some also add shrimp paste (terasi) for a stronger umami flavor. Feel free to experiment with different ingredients to find your perfect sambal pete teri recipe.
Here are some tips to make the perfect sambal pete teri:
- Choose fresh ingredients for the best flavor.
- Adjust the amount of chili peppers according to your spice tolerance.
- Use a non-stick pan to avoid burning the ingredients.
- Blend the sambal until it becomes a smooth paste for a better texture.
- Store the sambal in a clean and airtight container to keep it fresh for longer.
Sambal pete teri is a delicious and spicy condiment that is loved by many Indonesians. It is easy to make and can be customized to suit different tastes. Whether you’re a fan of spicy food or just looking to try something new, sambal pete teri is definitely worth a try!