Tempe bacem is a traditional Indonesian dish that is popular among locals and tourists alike. This dish is made by marinating tempeh in a sweet and savory sauce before cooking it until it becomes soft and tender. The result is a delicious and aromatic dish that is perfect for any occasion. In this article, we will share a simple recipe for tempe bacem that you can easily make at home.
Here are the ingredients that you will need to make tempe bacem:
- 500 grams of tempeh, cut into small pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemongrass, bruised
- 2 salam leaves
- 100 grams of palm sugar, grated
- 2 tablespoons of tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 500 ml of water
- Oil for frying
Here are the steps to make tempe bacem:
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the tempeh until it turns golden brown. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, sauté the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the bay leaves, lemongrass, and salam leaves. Stir until fragrant.
- Add the grated palm sugar, tamarind paste, salt, and water. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce the heat.
- Add the fried tempeh to the sauce and stir until the tempeh is fully coated.
- Cover the pan and let the tempeh cook for about 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the tempeh is soft and tender.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the tempeh bacem with steamed rice and other dishes of your choice.
Here is the nutritional information for tempeh bacem (per serving):
- Calories: 285
- Protein: 15 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 35 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Sugar: 25 grams
- Sodium: 370 mg
Tempe bacem is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that you can enjoy with your family and friends. With this simple recipe, you can recreate the authentic taste of this Indonesian classic in your own kitchen. So, why not give it a try today?