Gepuk is a traditional dish from Sunda, West Java, Indonesia. It is made from beef that has been pounded, marinated, and then fried. The pounding process makes the meat tender and more absorbent to the marinade. The result is a flavorful and tender beef dish that is perfect for any occasion.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Gepuk Daging Sapi:
- 500 grams beef sirloin, sliced
- 2 lemongrass, bruised
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 5 shallots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 red chilies, sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Here are the steps to make Gepuk Daging Sapi:
- Combine sliced beef, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, bay leaves, salt, sugar, coriander powder, cumin powder, and turmeric powder in a mixing bowl. Mix well and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add sliced shallots, minced garlic, and sliced red chilies. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add marinated beef into the pan. Mix well with the spices.
- Add enough water to cover the beef. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer until the beef is tender and the water has evaporated.
- Remove the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and bay leaves from the pan.
- Take the beef out of the pan and place it on a mortar. Pound it with a pestle until it is tender and the fibers are broken apart.
- Put the pounded beef back into the pan. Fry until it is browned and crispy.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice and sambal.
Here is the estimated nutrition information for Gepuk Daging Sapi:
- Calories: 430
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 32g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 1320mg
Gepuk Daging Sapi is a delicious and flavorful dish that is perfect for any occasion. The pounding process makes the beef tender and the marinade adds a burst of flavor to every bite. It is a must-try dish for anyone who loves Indonesian cuisine. Serve it with rice and sambal for a complete meal.