Tempe bacem is a traditional Indonesian dish that is widely loved by many people. It is made by cooking tempeh in sweet and savory sauce until the tempeh has absorbed all the flavors. This dish is perfect for those who love a combination of sweet and savory taste in their food. In this article, we will share with you the recipe for making tempe bacem.
The ingredients that you will need to make tempe bacem are:
- 300 grams tempeh
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 5 shallots
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lemongrass
- 3 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 300 ml of water
- Oil for frying
Here is the step-by-step guide on how to make tempe bacem:
- First, slice the tempeh into small rectangular pieces and set aside.
- Next, finely chop the garlic and shallots and set aside.
- Then, heat up some oil in a pan and fry the sliced tempeh until it turns golden brown. Once done, set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic, shallots, bay leaves, and lemongrass until fragrant.
- Add the sweet soy sauce, tamarind paste, salt, and sugar to the pan and mix well.
- Pour in the water and stir until the sauce is well combined.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and add in the fried tempeh. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the tempeh has absorbed all the flavors.
- Once done, turn off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the tempe bacem with some steamed rice and enjoy!
Here is the nutritional information for a serving of tempe bacem:
- Calories: 276
- Total Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 719 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 29 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 14 g
- Protein: 12 g
Tempe bacem is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that you can enjoy with your family and friends. By following the recipe above, you can easily make this dish at home and enjoy the sweet and savory flavors of tempe bacem.