Gulai kikil is one of the most popular dishes in Padang cuisine. This dish is made from cow’s feet, cooked in a rich and spicy coconut milk broth. It’s a delicious and hearty dish that’s perfect for any occasion. In this article, we will share with you the recipe for making gulai kikil ala rumah makan Padang, so you can recreate this delicious dish at home.
To make gulai kikil ala rumah makan Padang, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 kg cow’s feet
- 1 liter coconut milk
- 3 stalks of lemongrass, bruised
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 turmeric leaves, torn
- 3 salam leaves
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 5 red chilies, chopped
- 5 bird’s eye chilies, chopped
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making gulai kikil ala rumah makan Padang:
- Clean the cow’s feet and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Boil the cow’s feet in a pot of water for about 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, garlic, red chilies, and bird’s eye chilies. Saute until fragrant.
- Add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, turmeric leaves, and salam leaves. Saute for another minute.
- Add the boiled cow’s feet to the pot and stir well.
- Pour in the coconut milk, tamarind paste, salt, and sugar. Stir well and let it simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the cow’s feet are tender and the broth has thickened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with steamed rice.
Here’s the nutritional information for one serving of gulai kikil ala rumah makan Padang:
- Calories: 564
- Protein: 17g
- Fat: 45g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sodium: 645mg
Gulai kikil ala rumah makan Padang is a delicious and hearty dish that’s perfect for any occasion. With this recipe, you can recreate this iconic Padang dish at home and enjoy it with your family and friends. Don’t forget to serve it with steamed rice and enjoy the rich and spicy flavors of this dish.