Kari daging is a popular dish in Indonesia that is often served during special occasions. This dish is a flavorful and hearty curry made with beef and a blend of spices. The combination of tender beef, creamy coconut milk, and aromatic spices makes this dish a crowd-pleaser.
To make kari daging, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 kg beef (cut into cubes)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 thumb-sized ginger (minced)
- 1 lemongrass (bruised)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Follow these steps to make kari daging:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, and cardamom pods. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the beef cubes and stir until they are browned on all sides.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chili powder. Stir until the beef is coated in the spices.
- Add the coconut milk and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the curry simmer for 1-2 hours until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with rice or bread.
This recipe yields 6 servings. Each serving contains approximately:
- Calories: 568
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 44g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 156mg
Kari daging is a delicious and satisfying dish that is perfect for any occasion. With a blend of aromatic spices and tender beef, this curry is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Serve it with rice or bread for a hearty and filling meal that will leave your guests asking for seconds.