Jengkol is a popular ingredient in Indonesian cuisine. Semur Jengkol is a delicious and savory dish that is perfect for lunch or dinner. It is a slow-cooked dish that is easy to prepare and is perfect for those who love spicy food. In this blog, we will provide you with an easy-to-follow recipe on how to make Semur Jengkol.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 500 grams of jengkol
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4 shallots (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 red chillies (chopped)
- 2 lemongrass stalks (crushed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste
- 500 ml of water
Here are the steps to make Semur Jengkol:
- First, clean the jengkol by washing it thoroughly with water.
- Next, boil the jengkol in a pan of water for 30 minutes or until it is soft. Drain and set it aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Saute the shallots, garlic, and red chillies until fragrant.
- Add the crushed lemongrass, bay leaves, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt. Stir well.
- Put the boiled jengkol in the pan and mix it with the spices.
- Add the sweet soy sauce, tamarind paste, and water. Stir well.
- Cover the pan and let it cook on low heat for 1 hour or until the sauce thickens.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the jengkol from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- When the sauce has thickened, turn off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the Semur Jengkol while it is still hot with a plate of warm rice.
Here is the nutritional information for Semur Jengkol:
- Calories: 374
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 629mg
- Potassium: 666mg
- Fiber: 12g
- Sugar: 10g
- Vitamin A: 1858IU
- Vitamin C: 74mg
- Calcium: 102mg
- Iron: 4mg
Semur Jengkol is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to prepare and can be made in advance. We hope that this recipe has been helpful and that you enjoy making and eating Semur Jengkol.