Risoles is one of the most popular snack in Indonesia. It’s a fried pastry filled with various filling, such as vegetables, chicken, or beef. In this article, we will show you how to make a vegetarian version of risoles, using vegetables as the main filling.
Here are the ingredients you need to prepare:
- 150 gram wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 350 ml milk
- 50 gram butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 150 gram carrots, diced
- 150 gram green beans, cut into small pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 100 gram cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- Bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
Preparing the Filling
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat. 2. Add the chopped onion and garlic, and stir until fragrant. 3. Add the diced carrots and green beans, and stir for a few minutes until they are cooked but still firm. 4. Season with salt, black pepper, and nutmeg powder. 5. Remove from heat and let it cool down. 6. Add the grated cheddar cheese and mix well.
Preparing the Batter
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. 2. Add the wheat flour and stir until it forms a paste. 3. Gradually pour in the milk while stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens. 4. Add salt, black pepper, and nutmeg powder. 5. Remove from heat and let it cool down. 6. Beat 2 eggs and add them to the mixture, and stir well.
Assembling the Risoles
1. Take a piece of the batter and flatten it into a thin circular shape, using a spoon or a spatula. 2. Place a spoonful of the vegetable filling on top of the batter. 3. Roll the batter into a cylinder shape, covering the filling completely. 4. Repeat the process until all the batter and filling are used up. 5. Dip each risoles into the beaten egg, then coat it with bread crumbs. 6. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. 7. Fry the risoles until they turn golden brown, then remove from heat and drain the excess oil using paper towel.
Here are the nutrition facts for one serving of risoles (2 pieces):
- Calories: 344 kcal
- Protein: 11 g
- Fat: 20 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sodium: 483 mg
That’s it! You have successfully made your own vegetarian risoles. You can serve it as a snack or a side dish for your main meal. Enjoy!