Rica-rica is a traditional spicy dish from Manado, North Sulawesi. This dish is popular for its savory and spicy taste, which comes from a mix of various spices and chili. Rica-rica can be made with various meats, such as chicken, beef, pork, or fish. In this recipe, we will show you how to make rica-rica ayam pedas, or spicy chicken rica-rica.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 kg chicken, cut into pieces
- 10 red chilies, sliced
- 5 bird’s eye chilies, sliced
- 5 shallots, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bruised
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup water
Here are the steps to make rica-rica ayam pedas:
- Heat the oil in a wok or pan over medium heat.
- Add the sliced shallots and garlic, and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add the sliced red chilies and bird’s eye chilies, and stir-fry until the spices are well mixed.
- Add the diced tomatoes, lemongrass stalks, and kaffir lime leaves. Stir-fry for a few minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the chicken pieces, and stir-fry until the chicken is browned on all sides.
- Add the salt, sugar, and water. Stir well.
- Cover the wok or pan, and simmer for about 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
This rica-rica ayam pedas recipe yields about 6 servings. Here is the approximate nutrition information per serving:
- Calories: 350
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sodium: 400mg
Rica-rica ayam pedas is a delicious and spicy dish that is perfect for those who love bold flavors. The combination of red chilies, bird’s eye chilies, shallots, garlic, and other spices creates a rich and aromatic sauce that complements the tender chicken pieces. This dish is best served with steamed rice and some fresh vegetables on the side. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the authentic taste of Manado cuisine!