Tempe bacem is a traditional Indonesian dish that is popular in Java. It is made by marinating tempeh in a sweet and savory sauce made from palm sugar, tamarind, and various spices. The dish is usually served as a side dish or snack, and it is perfect for those who want to try something new and delicious.
Here are the ingredients that you will need to make tempe bacem:
- 500g tempeh
- 250ml water
- 100g palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 shallots, minced
- 3 red chillies, sliced
- 3 green chillies, sliced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, roasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted and ground
Here are the steps to make tempe bacem:
- Cut the tempeh into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the tamarind paste with 250ml of water and set aside.
- In a pan, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic, shallots, red chillies, and green chillies until fragrant.
- Add the coriander seeds and cumin seeds and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add the palm sugar, bay leaves, and salt and stir until the sugar has melted.
- Add the tamarind water to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the tempeh to the pan.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the tempeh is tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Enjoy your delicious tempe bacem!
Tempeh is a great source of protein and fiber, and it is also low in fat and calories. The palm sugar used in this dish is a natural sweetener that is rich in vitamins and minerals, and the tamarind paste adds a tangy flavor that is high in antioxidants. This dish is a healthy and delicious way to enjoy tempeh, and it is perfect for those who are looking for a new and exciting way to incorporate more plant-based foods into their diet.