Telur balado is a famous Indonesian dish that is popular for its spicy and tangy flavor. It is a simple dish that can be easily made at home. The dish is made by cooking boiled eggs in a spicy tomato-based sauce that is flavored with herbs and spices. In this article, we will be sharing a simple recipe for making telur balado at home.
To make this dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 6 boiled eggs
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 5-6 shallots, finely chopped
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 red chili peppers, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Here are the steps to make telur balado at home:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped shallots and garlic to the pan and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sliced red chili peppers to the pan and cook until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the tamarind paste, sugar, and salt to the pan and stir well.
- Using a fork, pierce the boiled eggs all over to allow the sauce to penetrate.
- Add the boiled eggs to the pan and gently stir to coat them with the sauce.
- Cover the pan and let the dish simmer for 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Remove the lid and stir the dish again.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the dish to a serving plate.
- Enjoy your homemade telur balado!
Here is the approximate nutritional value of one serving of telur balado:
- Calories: 160
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 450mg
Tips and variations
Here are some tips and variations to help you make the perfect telur balado:
- If you want a milder version of the dish, you can reduce the amount of chili peppers or remove them altogether.
- You can also add other ingredients to the dish, such as shrimp or tofu, to make it more substantial.
- If you don’t have tamarind paste, you can use lime juice or vinegar instead.
- Make sure to pierce the boiled eggs all over before adding them to the sauce to allow the flavors to penetrate.
- You can also garnish the dish with chopped cilantro or scallions for extra flavor and freshness.
Telur balado is a delicious and easy-to-make Indonesian dish that is perfect for a quick and satisfying meal. With this simple recipe, you can enjoy this spicy and tangy dish at home in no time. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients and variations to make it your own. Happy cooking!